Ever wanted to leave the rat race, pull up sticks and move for health and well-being? Paula, from Portugal, and Marc, from Belgium, decided it was time to do so and so moved from their home of 15 years in Luxembourg. The perfect location? This venerable group of buildings, like a small village, in the Algarve. Three houses, connected by walkways, renovated by their owners since their arrival mid-2012.
‘Cochicho’ is Paula’s mother’s maiden name. Abandoned by her mother despite the Portuguese tradition of two surnames, the name has now been reestablished, in bricks and mortar, for future generations. Another thoughtful connection to the property is the choice of logo – a chameleon. This creature is an endangered species with a small habitat in this region of the Eastern Algarve. Several families live around the property.
Quinta dos Cochichos consists of 3 self-catering farmhouse cottages:
Casa da Nespera, our studio.
Casa do Figo, with 2 double bedrooms
Casa da Alfarroba, with one double and one triple bedroom.
Casa do Figo and Casa da Alfarroba are both part of a bigger rural house. Families of different generations have rented the complete house and enjoy being separate but still together.
Quinta dos Cochichos has several facilities for common use:
- An eight-shaped swimming pool;
- A sauna for 4 people and a small area to relax (or use the running machine provided). For use on specific days of the week and against a small fee;
- Assistance for the swimming pool and the sauna;
- A fenced playground, with a sandbox, for smaller children.
- The “maisonette” - a little house, built in the same traditional way, where smaller children can play;
- A playground area for small and bigger children;
- A boule court;
- Free private parking for 6 cars;
- Several games for children and adults;
- Baby equipment including a baby wagon, baby chair, park etc.;
- Free wifi in several spots;
- A small library with books in various languages.
- A laundry room that can be used against a small fee.